Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Life in 1300 kilometers

In the past five days I’ve covered over 1300 km; I have seen breathtaking scenery, been touched by the kindness of others, and met some of the most incredible people in my life.  I can honestly say that I am a different person today than I was just one week ago.  This has been my journey…

km 0-225 – Drive from Paihia to Auckland

Christmas in the Park
I woke up to another beautiful Paihia sunrise and drove back south to Auckland just in time for Christmas in the Park!  About ¼ of the population of Auckland turned out for the event.  It reminded me of lawn seats at a country music festival except that instead of singing along to Achy Breaky Heart, everyone was singing Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.  They did a countdown to light the tree, Santa rode his sleigh through the crowd, and they finished with an extraordinary fireworks display.  Amongst the celebratory crowd I met someone whose impression will remain with me for the rest of my life.  I may have only talked to them for a few hours, but I know the impact of that conversation will alter my life to come, playing into every decision I make from here on out.  If you are reading this, I can only say Thank You.  In this person I saw the beauty of dreams on the forefront of discovery and have been inspired to stay true to my own dreams.  I experienced the power of listening and am the better for the wealth of knowledge I received though open ears and an open heart.  I have heard before, and deeply believe, that people come into and go out of your life for specific reasons.  They may be in your life for 1 day, 6 months, or even 50 years, but there is a purpose behind it and it is our job to discover that purpose.  I believe the purpose of this encounter will continue to show itself, likely at times when I least expect it.

km 225-865 – Train from Auckland to Wellington

Mordor
After *maybe* an hour of sleep I got on the 0730 train south to Wellington.  It was a 12 hour trip through the country side of the North Island.  The views were stunning (including the volcanic cone used as Mordor in the Lord of the Rings trilogy), but what I truly enjoyed was the uninterrupted time for reflection.  What has been weighing on my mind recently, and for some time, is the concept of home.  I know I am always welcome and will always have a place to stay at the house I grew up in, but Montana just doesn’t feel like home anymore.  Everywhere else I’ve lived has been wonderful, but I don’t feel particularly drawn to return to any of those places.  I am comfortable with the concept that I have detached from all these locations in order to inspire travel, but at the same time I am starting to feel a pull towards finding a place where I really feel at home. I have no intention of stopping my travels, but it would be nice to have somewhere to return to that holds that illusive “Ahh, I’m home” quality.

I made it into Wellington at 7:30pm, checked into my hostel, and crashed!  I had a couple hours in the morning to explore before my ferry, but it was pouring rain so I really only made it down the harbor a ways to a café.  Oh well, maybe next time. =)

km 865-965 – Ferry from Wellington to Picton (with a detour to Havelock at the end)

I met another fascinating person on the ferry to Picton.  She is here from Nebraska studying Geology.  She was so clearly a free spirit it was really enjoyable talking to her.  She is leaving NZ in February (after a year’s stay) and then backpacking around South America for six months… something I would LOVE to do!  And so, another trip is in the planning stage.
Havelock

I arrived in Picton at 1618 as scheduled and was greeted by friends of friends of friends who’d been asked to collect me and bring me to Havelock where I was spending the night with friends of Laura and Leicester.

If you followed all those connections, I have to express how amazed I have been with everyone’s kindness and hospitality.  I have taken hour long car rides, shared meals, and stayed the night with complete strangers and have never felt more welcome. If this is what all Kiwis are like, I really don’t want to leave.

Anyways, I spent the night with a fantastic family who opened their home to me completely and unquestioningly in a way that I hope I can pass on in the future.

km 965-1305 – Train from Blenheim to Christchurch

Train to Christchurch
The train ride from Blenheim to Christchurch was a little over 5 hours of scenic bliss.  For a large part of the trip the tracks run along the coast so you have beautiful ocean views out one side and beautiful mountain views out the other.  And, once again, a fabulous setting for reflection, although this time it was mostly on my future yoga studio.

After a slight delay due to a “crossing accident” I arrived in Christchurch to the loving arms of Laura and Wilson (and Leicester a little later).  I am going to leave it here for this posting and share all my fabulous Christchurch stories later. 

More to follow shortly!
Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment