Monday, December 6, 2010

Table for One, Please

I am fairly certain nobody would categorize me under the heading, “Shy”, however the idea of travelling alone in a foreign country was still a daunting one for me.  But I am truly loving it.  The freedom of it all has been overwhelming.  I can’t remember a time that I’ve been able to be so guiltlessly selfish.  =) I can do whatever I want to, whenever I want to.  It sounds very simple, but I feel that I’ve spent the past several years caught up in the never-ending checklist of things I thought I “needed” to do and have finally had the veil of commotion lifted.

Circular Rainbow!  They do exist!
I spent four days in Sydney taking in the requisite sights; Sydney Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Sydney Aquarium, Bondi Beach, etc. (Pictures will be posted of all of these later)  I even saw a circular rainbow!  True story.  See… I even took pictures.  I met some remarkable people while I was there – bonding over laundry and hunting for Thai food in the rain – whom I hope to keep in touch with for years to come.  Miss you guys!

I left Australia Monday morning for Auckland.  I have rented a car and made minimal plans other than to explore.  Today I went to the Auckland Museum (amazing), One Tree Hill (beautiful views), and drove along Tamaki Drive to Ladies Bay (nude beach). 

The hostel I am staying at in Auckland is quite different from the YHA in Sydney.  It’s in a two-storey house that was apparently built for Tongan royalty.  Everything is co-ed which is giving me flashbacks to my time at MMA, but everyone I’ve met has been incredibly friendly.

I have six more days of solo travel, and then it’s on to Christchurch to visit Laura, Leicester, and Wilson!

All my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment