Thursday, November 25, 2010

Bushwalking Bluey


BBQ in Toora
Guess what I got to do this week?!  I got to go bush walking around the southernmost tip of the Australian mainland!  The three of us drove down to Toora (pop. 647) Tuesday afternoon in conjunction with a vessel Stephen had to attend.  Unfortunately, we forgot to book an extra room for yours truly, but the one room that was booked had a sofa bed so all was not lost.  Tuesday was the first truly warm (those who haven’t lived in Singapore for two years may have considered it hot) day I’ve had since arriving in Victoria which meant it was time for a barbeque dinner!  One of the best things I’ve learned about Australia is that the parks all have free electric grills.  We grilled up some steaks for the McMeekings and some portabella mushrooms for me and then were promptly run off by swarms of little black bugs.  I am fairly certain that I am no longer a vegetarian… the bugs were EVERYWHERE!!!

Tidal River at Wilsons Prom
Wednesday morning Jacki and I drove down to Wilsons Promontory while Stephen was working.  Wilsons Promontory is a beautiful national park chock full of bush walking/hiking trails.  They have everything ranging from 20 minute walks to overnight hikes.  We drove into Tidal River, set Jacki up under a tree with a stack of books, and I took off for about two hours of roaming.  It was midday, so the sun was a bit hot, but the views were breathtaking and it felt great to stretch my legs for a while after so many days in the car.  I don’t want to bore you all with more descriptions of how beautiful this country is, but it’s definitely worth checking out the pictures in picasa.  I did make one spectacular purchase after my walk that I must mention; his name is Russel, he is a wombat.  And, he will be featured in my next post.

Agnes Falls
This morning we awoke to a misty, rainy day.  Jacki and I had a quiet morning of reading and then drove up to Agnes Falls.  Apparently it’s the highest waterfall in Victoria (59 meters).  The falls were no Niagara, but listening to the water and looking out over the valley was pure serenity.

Weather!
After the falls we went to Yarram for lunch then drove back to Barry Beach to pick up Stephen.  On the way we drove into an incredible storm front.  I had never really thought about the weather in this part of Australia.  They are at an interesting crossroads between the hot, dry desert in the north and Antarctica in the south.  As I’m sure you can imagine, they get some awe inspiring cloud formations.  With my love of storms I was in heaven!  I don’t think Jacki felt quite the same joy from the driver’s seat…

We drove back to Melbourne this afternoon and are all happy to be back home with no big trips ahead.

Tomorrow will be spent in the kitchen as I am bringing Thanksgiving to the Aussies!!!  Neither Jacki nor Stephen have EVER experienced Thanksgiving, so I imagine I will have a fun blog up after tomorrow! 


Pictures from this trip are at http://picasaweb.google.com/smichelle.manning/WilsonsProm?feat=directlink

I miss you all!  Thank you for keeping up with my travels!
All my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment